The teaching-learning process of the institute is comprised of the following:
Teaching, Learning and Evaluation schedules
The following Teaching, Learning and Evaluation schedules are followed in the institute:
- An Academic Calendar is prepared before the start of the semester
taking into consideration the Academic Calendar of the affiliating University.
- The Academic Calendar consists of the curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to be carried out during the semester.
- The teacher in-charge prepares the teaching plan of the concerned subject in the form of a course file. The course file is prepared before the start of the classes.
- Teaching and evaluation plans are finalized on the basis of the instructions issued by the affiliating University.
Contribution of IQAC in Teaching Learning-Process
IQAC in co-ordination with the Academic Affairs Committee monitors and analyses the strength and weakness of various departments and makes its suggestion for necessary improvements wherever required. The IQAC also co-ordinates with the all departments regarding implementation of the various orders issued by the competent authority.
- The interactive question-answer sessions/quizzes are arranged by the teachers. Students are encouraged to ask more and more questions in the class.
- The Institute has made a transition from input based education to outcome based education.
- The Institute follows the Bloom’s Taxonomy and emphasis is laid on action learning and project based learning.
- The Course objectives and outcomes are designed on the basis of Bloom’s Taxonomy.
- In order to develop the collaborative learning, the students are given group assignments, minor/major projects and group presentations. In addition to this, industrial training/visits for the students are also arranged.
- To promote independent learning, the students are given assignments and tutorial sheets. Peer-to-peer learning and project based learning are encouraged as well. The Institute has got well stocked library along with Galileo digital library, the 110 MBPS internet connectivity and Wi-Fi PAN campus facility so that student may access the resources as and when s/he wishes.
Life Long Learning and Innovation
The Institute inculcates life-long learning and innovation abilities among the students through the following:
- The students’ chapters of ISTE, IEI, IETE and CSI are functional in the Institute.
- The ‘aDAVitya’ is an annual technical fest organized by the Institute where students are encouraged to showcase their creativity and talent.
- The students are motivated to participate in the technical events being held at other Institutes.
- It is mandatory for all the B.Tech students to undergo six months industrial training where they handle live projects/problems.
- There are various clubs/societies in the different departments that organize various events catering to innovation.
- The expert lectures are also held by the faculty from industry and from other reputed Institutes.
- Institute has set up a Center for incubation and entrepreneurship to promote the entrepreneurial spirit in the Institute. Workshops are organized in order to prepare the students to set up their own ventures.
Technologies and Academic Facilities
In order to promote effective knowledge delivery among the students, the following technologies and academic facilities are provided to the students and teachers:
- The Institute subscribes to a large number of reputed online and print journals in various disciplines. In addition to this the Institute has got a well-stocked library. Galileo Centre for Academic Excellence and Digital Library is also established along with departmental libraries in each department.
- K-Hub offers a comprehensive compilation of databases covering e-journals, e-books, e-articles, e-newspaper, e-newsletter, case reports etc. K-Hub also provides information regarding Jobs, recent news, recent events/conferences.
- The virtual labs are also being used by the students and faculty.
- The faculty members are using QEEE, NPTEL and MOOCs also.
- The Institute has got smart class rooms equipped with smart boards and multimedia projectors.
Advanced Learning of Knowledge and Skills
The institute promotes advanced learning of knowledge and skills among the students through the following:
- The expert lectures/invited talks are arranged by top academicians as well industry experts from time to time.
- The national/international conferences/seminars/workshops are organized.
- The faculty and students are encouraged to participate in conferences/seminars in other Institutes.
- Every department celebrates industry week whereby students interact with the people from the industry, visit various companies as well as workshops are organized to prepare them for various competitive examinations.
- Adjunct faculty from industry has also been appointed to share their real life experiences with the students.
Academic, Personal and Psycho-social Guidance
The institute provides following academic personal and psycho-social guidance to the students:
- The Institute has appointed a part-time Counseling Psychologist. Students are counseled for various psychological and emotional stressors and taught coping skills. Students are counseled individually as well as in groups, where discussions and presentations by the students on the topics, which affect them, are encouraged.
- Faculty mentors are appointed for major projects of the students.
- There is a provision in the curriculum about the appointment of Group Advisors.
- Department of Training and Placement counsels the students about career opportunities and higher education.
- Students are informed from time to time about career options in diverse fields such as defence services, public sector undertaking job options, corporate openings etc.
Innovative Teaching Approaches and Methods
In order to strengthen the teaching-learning process, the institute follows the following teaching approaches and methods:
- The faculty members make use of Bloom’s Taxonomy in teaching and promote action based learning and project based learning.
- The various online resources such as MOOCs and virtual labs are being used.
- The case study/role play/ Group discussions/quizzes/crossword puzzles and various other action learning techniques are used by the faculty.
- The subject quizzes are being used.
- The latest technological innovations are discussed in the classes.
The state of the art library of the institute is equipped with the following resources:
- The Institute has got a well-stocked library with over 8,400 titles and more than 36,000 volumes.
- The Galileo Meridian Digital Library is functional in the Institute from where the readers can access and download e-books, journal articles, NPTEL and other research materials on their laptops, tabs and mobile phones.
- The Institute subscribes to a large number of national and international journals.
- The library is connected through internet and computers on LAN are also available in the library.
- The Institute subscribes e-books too.
- The faculty and students visit the library frequently.
Monitoring the Quality of Teaching Learning
The institute undertakes the following steps to monitor the quality of teaching learning:
- The Institute conducts 03 Mid Semester Tests during every semester.
- The home assignments are given to the students.
- The tutorial sheets are given to the students.
- The subject quizzes are held in the classes.
- Minor and major projects are given to the students.
- Group presentations are made by the students.
- The feedback is taken from the students during and at the end of every semester.
Faculty Development Programmes
The following strategies are adopted by the Institute on planning and management of human resource:
- The faculty members are encouraged to pursue higher studies and there exist provisions for leave with pay for the same.
- The faculty members are recruited from time to time as per the requirement.
- The retention ratio of the Institute is more than 98%. So, retention is not a problem.
- The faculty members are paid salaries as per norms and at par with the government scales.
- The faculty members are sponsored for attending conferences/ seminars/Faculty Development Programmes.
Efforts to cope up the growing demand of Qualified Senior Faculty
The institute follows below mentioned steps to maintain the growing demand of well to do and qualified senior faculty:
- There are 24 faculty members having doctoral degree.
- 50 faculty members are pursuing their Ph.D. at present.
- The Institute has set up center(s) of excellence in the emerging areas of technology.
- The Institute has tied up with various Institutes of national and international eminence for the faculty exchange as well as student exchange programs.
- Faculty members are encouraged and sponsored to attend Faculty Development Programmes, Seminars, Conferences and other academic activities.
- Faculty is encouraged to go for post-doctoral fellowships.
- AICTE sponsored, DST sponsored and PTU sponsored seminars and conferences are organized on the latest developments in the respective fields.
- Workshops are organized to sensitize the faculty and students on intellectual property rights and other relevant issues.